Tuesday, April 1, 2014

week 8-9

Hi everyone!

I have big news, exciting news! I did my photo shoots! It was so much fun, and I'm really happy with the results. I decided to only do four different looks for my project (lack of time) which meant taking all the clothing, accessories, etc. to four different locations. And I did two separate shoots: one at night featuring the Moulin Rouge look, and another during the daytime for my designs from Pompidou, Shakespeare and Company, and Archives Nationales.

The photo shoot for Moulin Rouge was, to say the least, chaotic. It was maybe 60 degrees Fahrenheit with a cold wind, and I had my model wear this thin, short dress and some sandals. I felt so bad having her in the cold, so I tried being as quick as possible. Whenever I wasn't taking pictures, my advisor and I had her wear two sweaters, a long trench coat and wrapped her legs in a blanket. I had already planned out one photo where my model would walk down the crosswalk right in front of the theatre of Moulin Rouge (I got the idea from that famous picture of the Beatles), but that turned out to be a pretty complicated idea because we had to wait for the light to turn green for pedestrians, so each time I had about two minutes of shooting before we had to wait again. And I was backed up into the bike lane right next to the street so cars were driving right next to me the entire time. As if that wasn't enough to worry about, my camera was having trouble shooting with the lack of light. Ah, it was a good first photo shoo,t I think. I ended trying another photo idea I came up with during the shoot, and that was a success, so everything ended well, and within about an hour, which was good for my model.

The second photo shoot was LONG. For the first time since I left for France, I woke up at 8am(so early), packed three full bags (not including lunch) of all three outfits with their appropriate accessories (hats, shoes, jewelry) and made my way to my advisor's apartment to change for the first shoot. I made sure the weather was on our side this time, so by 11 am, we were out, walking to the first location under a bright sun. I started at Shakespeare and company, and it was really great with the blooming flowers on the trees just in front of the store, the soft light and the colorful books. It was pretty easy, so I had high hopes that the rest of the photo shoot would go as smooth as before. But what does sunshine and clear skies in Paris give you? PEOPLE. Everywhere. When we carried all our luggage to Pompidou, the streets were crowded with people. But when we got to the location, it was pretty empty, and I thought, hey maybe it wasn't going to be so bad. But I should have known better! I should have known that ALL national parks were closed on Tuesdays, including Pompidou AND Archives Nationales. Therefore, we didn't have any available bathrooms! My stress levels just shot up. So you know, I tried to stay calm, and we end up doing all the shots, moved to the final location, snuck into a bathroom and finished up at Archives Nationales around 2:30pm.

We officially ended the shoot by having a picnic in a nearby park, which was really nice. Then both my advisor and my model had to go to work, so I brought everything back to my apartment, fell into bed and went to sleep... :)

So overall, it was super eventful and fun, and the photos I got out of the shoots, are, to me, really nice. I put all my energy into these outfits, and the photos, I hope people see it! It's nothing like the professional advertisements in a magazine, but it's so amazing to see what I can do.

The next thing to do is go through the photos and pick my final pieces for the project. Then I need edit them and maybe write a small piece to along side the final photos.

So my project is close to finished, and I'm leaving in about a week back to the hot and dry desert of Tucson, I really can't wait! see everyone soon!      

2 comments:

  1. Janyl! It sounds like you are having a fantastic time in Paris. What you are describing is the real deal. That stress! That excitement! That exhaustion. That's how photo shoots are.
    We should talk soon about your final project. How are you planning on presenting? I'd love to see a book (like what we did in Photography class) or a website (SUPER easy to create). Whatever you choose, include images and reflections on the PROCESS as well as your final photographs. Illustrate and describe your journey. What challenges did you face? How did you overcome those challenges? What did you learn about fashion? About Paris? About yourself? You can pull text from this blog too.
    SO excited to see your images...can we get a sneak peek??
    McD
    PS: Here are two great free website resources: wix.com, bulbapp.com. You can create a book on blurb.com (like last year). Let me know if you need help with this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a wonderful experience! I can't wait to hear about it when you come back to school. I'd love to know if there were any books, artists, etc. that particularly inspired your sketches/photo shoot. Other than Paris architecture, what inspired you? You can include these sources in your final presentation, whether in book or website format. If you could send some images to Mr. McD and myself before we meet, that'd be great. That way, we have some time to review and process the work and develop some questions for you.
    Mrs. Stuart

    ReplyDelete